We were getting ready for a visit by our grandchild Ella this morning and we turned the television on to one of the "kiddie" channels. Little Bear was on at the time and my wife asked "Why is Little Bear always nekkid?" Of course the word "nekkid" is southern flavored for the word "naked". They mean the same thing in truth, but, sometimes the use of "nekkid" can lead one to think sinfully! I never had thought of this observance before, but as I watched the show, I realized that she was correct in her observance..Little Bear was the only one nekkid on the show! Mama Bear, PapaBear, and the humans all were dressed to the max, but Little Bear was "nekkid as a baby jay bird!"!
I don't suppose a young child would be aware of the first amendment right of free speech, nor, would the fact that Little Bear is "nekkid" register in their young minds. The children's shows are good clean entertainment for them and kids learn a great deal from them. The trouble is that these are not the only shows that they are exposed to as day by day they become mesmerized by the magic box we call "TV".
As "country" as we are down here in the deep south, most of us have satellite TV with upwards of a thousand channels available. TV in my day was full of shows that were wholesome, entertaining, and witty. There was some mild violence in the cowboy and cop shows, but never any "cuss" words or steamy sex scenes. Censorship ruled and it was fine, we watched it anyway! Today, many shows contain graphic violence, lewdness, vulgarity and profanity...all because of "the right to free speech". Would it change the stories a whole lot if the writers left out the curse words or the other things? Personally, I don't want my children or grandchildren exposed to any of it. We have not completely lost our imaginations and when we see a romantic kiss, or a man falling from a gun shot, we can wrap our minds around obvious results without having to see it graphically. I guess it started in the movies with that famous line from Gone with the Wind.."Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn!". Possibly, that one line started the whole mess!
I think that the magic box called TV has changed over the years from a good thing to something pretty bad. It has become somewhat of a baby sitter in a lot of households and as a result, kids are seeing and learning things that are harmful to them. The apostle Paul said "Think on more excellent things". Our kids see these programs on TV and somehow equate them to a real way of life, so be vigilant as to what you let your kids watch. Let's bring back a little common sense censorship! Put some clothes on Little Bear! There's no need for him to be "runnin around nekkid all the time"! *grin* We'll watch him anyway!
No comments:
Post a Comment