Featured Post

Honey, where did we put that.....?

There had been a glass coaster on which my wife had set a red candle on the kitchen table for months. As the Christmas season approached, my...

Thursday, March 20, 2014

"Don't 'no nothin 'bout birthin no baby!"

Those of us who are my age often long for the "good ole days" when life seemed much simpler. I find myself thinking back to the time my kids were little and wishing I had spent more time with them. My profession as a teacher/coach actually caused me to spend more time with other people's children than I did my own!  Even so, I loved them dearly and did my best to provide for them.

This past week, one of my daughters brought into the world another sweet grandchild. I must admit that modern times have the "good ole days" beat by far in the area of birthing babies.. When mine were born , the father was treated as if he had the plague! I was not allowed in the delivery room at all. I was made to wait in an area outside the nursery with other expectant fathers. Even though we were total strangers, nervous conversation flowed constantly. "Is this ye first 'un? This'll be my third!", or, "Ye think I'd figure out what causes this by now!", and "One more and I'll have me a whole basketball team! " are a few questions or comments that were made.

One by one the new fathers were informed of their baby and the condition of his wife until finally a nurse appeared holding that "little bundle of joy". You could look at it for a moment, but were not allowed to take it in your arms. You would think that once your baby was born, the waiting was over...not in those days! The fathers still had to wait until the mother was "situated" in her room. Finally, a nurse would come and lead you to the hospital room where your wife was kept. All the while you're thinking,"I'm finally going to get to hold my baby.". Not yet! You go in and there's your wife, but, no baby. After a while a nurse comes in with some sort of gown and cap and says " here! Put this on and you can hold your baby." Finally, they bring the baby in and you hold it close for the first time. Man! What a feeling that is!

Now days, the father is allowed to observe the entire process! I feel a bit cheated. My sons in law have all experienced things that I missed. A nurse no longer brings the baby out for the family to see, the father gets to do that and oh what a look on his face!

Some say that God no longer provides us with miracles. I disagree. Every birth of a new baby is a marvelous miracle. It is not by chance, but by heavenly design that a human baby is wondrously and fearfully created. Praise be to God!

'Nuff said....time for Papaw to hold his new grand baby!!

No comments:

Post a Comment