My house is beginning to sound more and
more like an arcade! I have seen many innovations over the course of
my lifetime. I can remember the first television my dad bought back
in the 1950's. It was a second hand RCA, made of what looked like a
thousand tubes stuck in a metal frame. The cover had been removed
during the repair and never put back, so, it sat there on the table,
tubes exposed and glowing as the electricity coursed through it. What
a marvelous invention it was!
Radios were large and bulky. At first
they were limited to their location in the house by the length of
their cord. Then one day I got a transistor radio! It was nice! Not
much bigger than a matchbox, it had a telescopic antenna and it would
just fit in your shirt pocket..wow..I thought I was “up town”!
Along and around 1962, we got a
telephone. Daddy had been trying to get one put in for a couple
years, but, had been told that the party line was full. Finally “Ma
Bell” expanded its service from 4-party lines to 8-party lines
and we got the phone. Of course, we were not allowed to call anyone
(except for emergencies), but we could answer if no adult was there.
Everyone on our party line had an assigned ring so that we would know
when to answer. Ours was two short rings. The phone was wonderful but
had its drawbacks. The older ladies on the party line had to talk
everyday at a certain time. There was no need to try to use the phone
during that time of the day. Also, on a party line, your ring would
sound in every household on the line, so, reckon there was some
eavesdropping?
In college I became acquainted with
computers. Mind you, they were nothing like what we have today. One
computer took up a whole room and to make it do anything, you had to
write programs on keypunch cards and feed them into the machine. One
period or comma out of place and the whole thing was ruined. About
this time, calculators began to appear. I often thought how much
easier my studies would have been had I owned a calculator!
Now we all own iphones, ipads, laptops,
and desktop pc's that work with the click of the keypad. Ringtones
and notification sounds ring out all through the day and night. My
wife will say “You got a doo-da-doot!” or I'll say to her, “You
got a pa-ding!” and we both drop what we are doing and check our
machines. I can tell who is calling by what ringtone sounds on my
phone.Yep..."arcade-ish" for sure! In case there is a reader who does not yet know their meanings, "doo-da-doot" is a Facebook notification and "pa-ding" is an instant messenger notification.
I know technology is good, but it never
stops! New things appear every day and many people become obsessed
with purchasing new stuff. Until it gets so outdated that it will no
longer work, I think I probably have all I need...Uh oh...gotta go! I think
I got a “pa-ding”!! *grin*
No comments:
Post a Comment