Well, it’s Christmas Day 2019. The tree is shining brightly and adorned with ornaments collected throughout the years. Many are handmade and each one holds a special memory for me and my wife. The TV is playing old Christmas shows one after another. I'm sitting in front of it with my feet up in my chair enjoying a hot cup of coffee. My wife is in her chair occupied with her phone waiting to see pictures of the grand kids and their presents. We’ve enjoyed a very quiet and peaceful Christmas morning.
Our kids are grown with families of their own, and they all live far away. I miss the tromp of little feet coming down the hall to get us out of bed so that they could open presents. I miss the sleepy eyes that brightened up when they saw their gift. I miss the rumpled hair, the scrambling around the tree, the squeals of delight, and all the commotion. Most of all, I miss them sitting in my lap showing off their present and the thank you with a hug attached. Those Christmas days were the best. For us they are gone now. I completely understand, but, I don’t like it.
Ahhh...the smell of giblet gravy simmering on the stove makes me sure that dressing is in the stove. There’s always ham, sweet potato casserole, peas, butter beans, corn, mac&cheese, rolls to go with the chicken dressing, and sweet tea or soda pop to drink...and then Mamaw’s chocolate pie, or lemon pie, or pecan pie, or various cakes...Mmmmm...wait, none of this is happening this year. For the first time in my life, there’ll be no family gathering and meal on Christmas Day. My mother is no longer able to host a big meal even when we all bring good dishes. I miss the meal and fellowship of my kin. I just don’t like it.
With age comes the realization that our children no longer need us in the same way they once did. I know that they still love us, but our position has moved from in the midst to the outside looking in.
We are now more peripheral and that’s difficult...especially for my wife. How many times a day do I hear her say “I wish they’d call me!”. I suppose every loving parent must accept this..and yes, we have the electronic solutions—FaceTime, Skype, Messenger, messages and all that. It’s just not the same. I don’t like it.
Now, having read to this point, one might think that I don't like Christmas! Not so at all, I love celebrating the birth of my Savior and all that goes with it. I still have visions of sugarplums, I adore the Christmas music, and, I am very grateful for all the Lord has allowed me. I look forward to many more. I know they will be different than what I long for, but, time has a way of changing things quite a lot. My life is now made up of more yesterdays than tomorrows!..quite a sobering thought! Getting old is not for sissies for sure! I don't like it!
May you all have a very blessed and merry Christmas with family and friends. Now, I Do like that!
The line that stuck out the most: "I wish they would call me." So true with our wives! And, "My life is now made up of more yesterdays than tomorrows!..quite a sobering thought!" We BHHS Seniors of 1980 are about to have our 40th class reunion!
ReplyDelete