"What do you want for supper?" she asked. "Aww..it don't matter." I said. Dang! All I meant was that I loved her and..I appreciated the fact that she was willing to cook for me and...I was trying to let her know that I would eat anything she wanted to fix and..she didn't have to go to a lot of trouble. It didn't go over with her that way...."Just tell me what you want and I'll fix it!", she exclaims and so, I start making suggestions.
I must admit that first thoughts in response to the question were steak and potatoes, or fish and hush puppies, with pies or cakes and ice cream and such...but..in reality I know better. I like plain food........ham sandwiches....butter beans, peas, cornbread, biscuits, potatoes, greens, or anything out of the freezer..and she can make any of it taste really good.
I have found that "It don't matter" is not a good response for other questions as well. "Do you like this outfit or this one?" Best not answer "It don't matter."... even though you mean " you look good in either one.", she reads that answer as you don't like me in either. "Do you want to go out or stay at home?" ....to her "It don't matter." automatically means stay at home. You get the idea.
Communication in any relationship is very important and sometimes it requires reading between the lines. Most men like me are not well schooled in this ability. We make our remarks without thinking about feelings. This often gets us into trouble!
I guess it's just a gender thing mostly. When menfolk say "it don't matter", it usually doesn't and they are giving the lady the choice. Women read it differently apparently. Make the choice ladies! We're just happy as a baby gnawing on his first chicken bone that you put up with us, so...what do I want for supper?........"Aww....it don't matter!".
No comments:
Post a Comment