"You're not talking to me today?", my wife said not fifteen minutes after I had wished her good morning and inquired as to how she had slept. I mean c'mon now...we just got up and not much conversation sparking things happened to either of us during the eight or so hours that we were asleep. I answer her with "Well...yes..I'll talk to ye, just don't have a whole lot new to tell you right now...dahhhhh-lin." For some reason beyond my comprehension, this seems to aggravate her even more. She snaps back "You never talk to me...I'm not saying anything else to you again!". I'm thinkin " Sheesh!"!
This scenario seems to play out quite often at my house. We are both retired now and we are in close proximity to each other most all the time. I rather like it and we get along fine...except when it comes to me just making chit chat. I could go for days and not say a word....would'nt bother me a bit! My wife on the other hand is a big talker and is well practiced in the art. I think she expects me to talk to her...even when she already knows everything that I know!
Thank goodness for cell phones, FaceTime, and messenger. This technology takes some of the pressure off us men folk. While the wives are on these devices, they don't want us talking to them! Trouble is, when they finish, they feel compelled to recount their whole conversations and their only available audience is us men! This is not all bad, we learn much pertinent information this way. You know, stuff like "The fair has nearly killed her!", or "So and So's baby has the colic.", or "Somebody is renovating their kitchen.". Men really are interested in such things, we just don't want to "appear" that way. Our responses to questions regarding these newly discovered facts are always manly answers.."Yep!", "Nope!", "Uh huh!", "Naw", "Whatever!" to name a few. We also use the nonverbal manly communication gestures ...nods, shoulder shrugs, head scratching, and the infamous eye roll. Responses such as these are fairly common for men everywhere I would think, and are innocent enough, but women interpret them as indifference prompting them to say things like " You wish I'd just shut up don't you?", or "is that all you have to say?" ..heh heh..."Yep or nope" fits well here but adds fuel to the fire!
I reckon "the silent type" fits me pretty well most of the time. I can carry on a good conversation when I have something to say. I can write and speak correctly, even eloquently at times, if I consider my topic worthy. Chit chatting is my weakness and even while writing this post my wife asked, "Why won't you talk to me?"? * Rollin eyes*...the cycle continues! *Smile*
No comments:
Post a Comment