My wife is a fine cook. She can put a meal on the table that will make you want to slap something! Even while working, she would get up every morning and fix a pan of biscuits or something to get the day started right for all of us, then, after work, she would come in and make a fine supper of whatever we might have. Early on in our marriage and especially while the kids were growing up, money for trips to the grocery store was tight, so, we ate a lot of vegetables that I could grow and meat that I killed by hunting, or harvested off the family farm. Quail, dove, chicken, deer meat or whatever all went well with a pan of her fine biscuits. Peas, butter beans, corn, tomatoes, greens and potatoes all seemed to taste good because she knew how to fix them.We thought we were eating like kings because of her cooking. I was always very appreciative of this and always bragged on her cooking...and her biscuits! Hoo-eeee!
There's a lot being said today about obesity in young children...hey!...Parents, they'll eat what you feed them! Feed them a lot of vegetables and they will learn to like them. Mix in a hunk of meat once in a while and make them some biscuits! Cook their food at home and set down at a table as a family and eat! They will remember it as they get older. Cooking is becoming a lost art, but it's the best way to feed your family!
Although most of us would rather it not be told, southern men can cook pretty good too...especially using a grill or a pan of grease. Some of us can do very well with stoves too. I can hold my own either way and knowing this, occasionally my wife now walks by and says " You got supper buddy!", or, "I want some of your biscuits in the mornin!". I gladly oblige!
She likes my biscuits. I take a small sifter of flour and cut in a pretty good glob of Crisco shortening with a fork. Just roll the flour up on the grease and mash it through over and over until the mixture takes on a yellowish tint and becomes a little tacky. Next, pour in some buttermilk and stir with a fork. If you want spoon ( catheads) biscuits, use enough buttermilk to make the mix loose, then use a spoon and drop the dough into a greased skillet. If you want patted out biscuits, use enough buttermilk to roll a pretty good ball of dough on your stirring fork, but also leaving a film of flour unmixed under the dough ball. Remove the fork from the dough ball and then roll the dough around in the loose flour coating it all around. If I think I'm wasting too much loose flour, I squeeze as much as I can up into the dough ball. Now, just pull off small pieces of dough and flatten them in the palm of your hand, then place them in the skillet. I bake at 480 degrees until brown.....they ain't bad!
She and I will soon celebrate our 42nd wedding anniversary. I've never bought her expensive gifts ( don't want to spoil her *wink*). We usually go out to a good meal somewhere and I thank her for staying with me all this time. She sometimes asks, "What if I decided to leave you?". I say, " Awww shoot Dear, you ain't gonna leave....you still like me and I know ye like my biscuits!".
So there you have it. The secret to a good marriage...make each other biscuits!
No comments:
Post a Comment